By Sean Harris ’11
It’s very hard to control but anticipate too much and the let-down can be tremendous.
Just look at the movies coming out this summer: Sure, there are some you should avoid like the plague (please don’t see “Twilight: Eclipse”) but it’s hard not to expect the best from some of the bigger blockbusters.
Here are my top five anticipated movies for summer 2010:
5. Robin Hood (May 14) – The collaboration between director Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe has brought audiences good things before (“Gladiator” sticks out as an example) and this film should be no different.
Taking a very different approach to the lore of Robin Hood, this version almost seems like a war movie, where Robin leads the rebelling forces against King John’s army.
It might be heavy-handed and cheesy but “Robin Hood” should be interesting to see nonetheless.
4. The Expendables (Aug. 13) – While “The Expendables” is coming to theaters a little later in the summer, it is definitely an action film to look forward to.
Starring Sylvester Stallone and featuring a cast made up of other action stars (Jet Li, Jason Statham and even Arnold Schwarzenegger makes an appearance), the movie is filled with enough testosterone to satisfy an all-male audience.
From the looks of the trailer, “Expendables” promises big, loud and obnoxious fun that definitely has a shot to be the best action film of the summer.
3. Toy Story 3 (June 18) – The first two “Toy Story” films are considered by many to be the finest works that Pixar has ever done. The second film even beats the typical standards for a sequel.
The question is can Pixar do it a third time?
The story follows Woody, Buzz and the gang after they are shipped to a day care center by Andy, who is now leaving for college.
The story may be very timely and sentimental for departing seniors who grew up on the “Toy Story” franchise. And while the trailer worries me, I have faith in Pixar.
2. Inception (July 16)- Genius director Christopher Nolan is returning to cinemas once again following “The Dark Knight” two summers ago.
The intriguing trailer tells absolutely nothing about the film, which might be for the best. Just saying Christopher Nolan’s name buys my ticket.
1. Iron Man 2 (May 7) – Of all the movies coming out this summer, “Iron Man 2” is truly the film that stands out.
Why? The original “Iron Man” was a huge hit in theaters during the summer of 2008, a fun movie that captured everyone’s attention that just happened to be about a superhero.
“Iron Man 2” will have to overcome the sequel curse, but if it does, it might be the best film of the summer. Oh, and have I mentioned that there is an “Avengers” movie on the way?
Be sure to check out the review of “Iron Man 2” online at roundup.brophyprep.org.