Campus History

Campus History: History of “the heart man”
By Hayden Welty ’19 THE ROUNDUP Have you ever referenced the statue of “the heart man” in the Dave Brown Mall for a project in a religious class? What are the origins of this infamous statue on the hillrock outside of Brophy Hall? According to President Ms. Adria Renke, David Cargill, grandfather of Brophy students Daniel Graver ’98, Cleve Graver ’04 and Devon Graver, donated the piece to Brophy in…
Campus History: Brophy’s founding donation nearly given to U of A
By Garrison Murphy ’15 THE ROUNDUP Many members of the Brophy community are familiar with the story of the school’s founding, but most are not likely to know a Jesuit institution was not the original plan for Mrs. William Henry Brophy’s $250,000 donation. Only two years before Brophy’s 1928 founding did Mrs. Brophy decide to fund a Jesuit institution. The original destination for the money she inherited from her late…
Campus history: Class of ’76 state university trends prove similar to ’14
By Garrison Murphy ’15 THE ROUNDUP With tuition rising and colleges becoming more selective, many seniors are faced with the decision to stay in state or venture out of state for college, but this trend isn’t new. The Brophy class of 1976 encountered similar dilemmas, according to an article written in The Roundup during the same year. As reported by the article, out of the 120 students in the class…