The Student News Site of Brophy College Preparatory

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Follow Us on Twitter

Bass fishing and wrestling: inside Adam Angulos life

Adam Angulo ’26
Angulo in a match against a wrestler from Cesar Chaves high school.

“I go Bass fishing a lot,” said wrestler Adam Angulo ’26. “I like how peaceful it is.” Even though wrestling has been a big part of Angulo’s life, he likes to take it slow sometimes, going to lake pleasant to fish in his free time. Although wrestling has always still been a big part of Adam’s life.

“I started out wrestling at GCU, which used to have a club and when I was five my dad brough be there,” said Angulo. He then met his coach of 11 years after the club got shut down when the GCU club got shut down.

With these 12 years of experience, Angulo says his greatest strength is always knowing he can come back in a match using his defense to stop the opponent. “Not getting in my head [and] keeping a constant reminder that it’s just a game,” Angulo added.

Wrestling Head Coach Mr. Wayne Catan said that Angulo’s biggest strength is not only his placement but his mat IQ, which Mr. Catan described as “knowing how to wrestle in every position at any time.”

His skills on defense has Angulo working on his offense more and more. 

On what he needs to work on during his junior and senior year season, Angulo emphasized on getting more attacks on the legs of opponents, which are referred to as shots in wrestling.

Even though Angulo notes he needs to work on his offense, Mr. Catan says that Adam has improved his offense from the start of his freshman season to the end of his sophomore season.

Practice isn’t all how Angulo prepares though, with him drinking a gallon of water every day. If he has a duel on Wednesday, then he only drinks a half-gallon of water on Monday and stops drinking water after 5pm on Tuesday. On the day of the duel, Angulo barely eats for the day to make weight.

The excessive water drinking isn’t just to stay hydrated though. “[The water] helps me lose weight. When I drink a gallon of water, it overloads my kidneys, so the weights want to come off because they’re so bloated,” said Angulo.Mr. Catan said that this year, their goal is for Angulo to place high in the state and next year, hopefully become a state champion.