Legend of Korra ‘Book 3’ redefines animation storytelling

By Chase L. Manson ’16

Book 3: Change– with voices of Janet Varney, Dave Faustino, PJ Byrne and JK Simmons

9.5 out of 10

This August the “Legend of Korra” finished its season with an hour-long, action-packed episode.

This season, titled “Change,” revolves around the main protagonist, Korra, as she tackles the new world order she built after the events of last season.

The season then throws in a few plot twists like a rebirth of a culture and a plot to take out all world leaders.

This season was a much better season than last which was good. This time around everything is amplified.

Each episode was strong on its own, though nothing really happened the story moved at a reasonable pace.

The dialogue seemed a little clunky in places but that is understandable due to time constraints as the duration of the episodes were reduced.

The story was very fluid, made sense and was even a little dark and mature. Several times I had to say, “This is a Nick show, right?” However, I liked that it took risks, it shows that the creators have a respect for the audience.

The new characters were great too, especially the villain.

Last season’s villain was really weak but this season’s villain was morally ambiguous and just enjoyable.

Henry Rollins provided the voice and he does a great job making the villain creepy yet understandable.

Another positive was the interactions of the characters, especially Asami Stato who had been sidelined in previous seasons

The writers seemed to care that everyone has their moment.

The animation was also top notch. Korean animation studio Studio Mir animated this season and fully delivered. Every background was beautiful and they drew their characters with respect and care.

In the end, this season is cleverly written, beautifully animated and has a great premise.

Not a lot of shows are on this level of quality so people should be looking at this show as it sets an example.