Tennis team looks to build on championship season in 2018

Photo by Edwin Perez ‘18 | Jack Woodrow ’18 gets ready to serve the ball. The varsity team practices for the upcoming season on January 22nd on Xavier Tennis courts.

Alex Cannella ’19

Varsity tennis wants to capitalize on championship momentum to make it two in row this upcoming Spring.

Mr. Eric Chalmers ’10 took over as Head Tennis Coach last year. He played varsity tennis while attending Brophy and continued to play collegiate tennis at Seattle University.

Mr. Chalmers is proud of the way his players have been working.

“Even though we won the championship last season, the guys have not stopped working hard,” Mr. Chalmers said. “I see a renewed belief in my players. Everyone has stepped up and supports each other.”

According to Mr. Chalmers, many players have stepped up to fill the leadership roles left by those who graduated last year. “Jack Woodrow was our number two guy last year and will likely be our number one this year.”

Jack Woodrow ’18 has been preparing for this upcoming season all year long. “The team has used the Dutch to our advantage. We lifted alongside the football team a few times and became stronger because of it.” says Woodrow.

Woodrow expects there to be around seventy boys trying out for this years team. “I love seeing so many guys trying out,” Woodrow says. “Because there’s so many kids were able to make multiple teams which makes the program more unique. That’s the advantage to the no-cut rule.”

Owen Blake ’19 has been on the varsity team since his freshman year. He played both doubles and singles on last years team.

“I am very confident and excited especially for the juniors because there are many of us looking forward to playing together on varsity. I think we pose a great threat to other teams this year and were looking to make it two titles in a row.” said Blake.

The tennis program also brought back the Manresa retreat which serves as a team bonding and relationship strengthening experience for the athletes. “This is a special retreat because the upperclassmen are able to show the ropes to the underclassmen and teach them what this program is all about.” says Woodrow.

“State championships are the goal of every team,” says Mr. Chalmers. “I’ve seen personal growth amongst individuals on the team and we’re ready to compete.”