The Student News Site of Brophy College Preparatory

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Follow Us on Twitter

Hendricks works his way to number one and looks to keep going

Photo by: Hunter Franklin ’19 Anthony Hendrix ’19 practices his swing with an iron while taking advantage of the golf simulator in the Dutch Gymnasium on March 6th, 2018. Hendrix is number one in his age bracket 15-18 Champions Division for golf in Arizona.

Alexander Kozub ’20

THE ROUNDUP

Anthony Hendricks ’19 was introduced to golf by his grandfather and uncle at the age of seven, and he has been playing ever since.

On average, Hendricks practices about four to five hours a day and has been doing so since eighth grade.
Before this, he played many sports such as baseball.

He said that golf has helped him with his time management skills, which has eliminated his procrastination because of the little time he has to do homework. “I like the individual aspect of golf, it’s all on you to practice and put in the work. It can pay dividends if you do well and you can’t blame anyone when you lose” Hendricks said.

Hendricks said he has had many accomplishments in and out of Brophy when it comes to golf such as winning this years Brophy invitational.

Hendricks said that he feels that he always represents Brophy when he is competing.

“People watch you and people know that we come from Brophy and we have to act a certain way because of what they teach us here,” Hendricks said.

Hendricks is currently ranked the number one junior in Arizona.

He played on the top 5 on the team freshman year until breaking his hand. While recovering, he learned what it was like to be a leader and pushed himself to step up once they left.

During his sophomore and junior years, he has played the number 1 spot on the team.

Mr. Jon Shores said that Hendricks serves as both the best player and leader on the team.

“I don’t always attribute the best player as the guy that is the leader, but Tony fills both rolls,” Mr. Shores said.

“Tony is a funny but encouraging young man with endless potential in regards to golf,” Jackson Vickers said about his character and future in golf.

Hendricks said he wants to go to UCLA because of their amazing golf team and their great academic programs.

He will be looking to go into business with a business economic major.

While in college, Hendricks says he will keep pursuing his golf career as he hopes one day that he can get on the PGA tour.

Hendricks said that he plays golf because he loves the individual aspect of the sport and all that it has to offer.