The Student News Site of Brophy College Preparatory

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Follow Us on Twitter

Brophy finishes spring play ‘Peter and the Star Catcher’

Photo by Graham Armkencht ’18 | “Peter and the Star Catcher” serves as the prequel to the fairytale Peter Pan. 

By Peter Warner ’19

THE ROUNDUP

“Peter and the Star Catcher” stars Jack Keeton ’19 as Peter in the prequel to the classic fairytale, Peter Pan.

“Peter and the Star Catcher” is a story of how Peter Pan and Captain Hook came to life, as well as showing their backgrounds. It shows how different characters got their personalities and became part of the original story.

Charlie Albin ’18, part of the ensemble, said “It is the story of how Peter Pan got his name, and how Captain Hook became Captain Hook.”

Jack Keeton, who stars as Peter Pan in the play, describes the story as a prequel.

“It is the origin story of Peter Pan, he starts off as an orphan sold into slavery. His boat crashes, he is abandoned on an island and becomes Peter Pan,” Keeton said.

Keeton starred as Peter Pan in his first lead role in a play. Keeton says the best part of being the lead in the play is being on stage more.

“It is interesting. It is a lot more responsibility, but being the lead is more fun because you act more and have more time on stage,” Keeton said.

Diego Ramirez ’19 saw the performance on April 20, and is friends with multiple cast members.

“I thought the comical elements were terrific. I thought Camden Andls’, [multimedia editor at the Roundup], performance as the grandma was very funny,” Ramirez said. “The best part was the very end when Peter Pan flew up and made a funny, screeching call.”

Jack Keeton believes the best part of the show is the crocodile coming on stage.

“When the crocodile makes its first appearance it is funny,” Keeton said. “Five people are inside a metal, crocodile costume and they can’t see a thing. They usually just trip and fall and it is hilarious.”

Albin’s favorite scene is the fight in the middle of the hurricane, where Captain Hook fights Slank on the deck of the ship as it breaks apart.

“It is the hurricane scene, two of the characters fight on stage and it is really a funny scene. It has a lot of improvised jokes,” Albin said.

Joseph (JD) Karanik ’19 saw the show on April 20 with Ramirez.

“It was a great show, very entertaining,” said Karanik. “I really enjoyed Ryan Barry as the tiki man. He was a very convincing character.”

Keeton praised the cast for bringing it together in the last few rehearsals.

“We’ve performed pretty well, not too many mess ups. We pulled it together in the last week of rehearsal,” Keeton said.

Albin mentioned the cast’s bond that developed throughout the show.

“It really turned together in the last week or two,” Albin said. “When we have a cast so close together like we are. Everybody connects and it makes the play a lot better for the people on stage and the people watching.”