The Student News Site of Brophy College Preparatory

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Follow Us on Twitter

Early exit from playoffs leaves Brophy lacrosse motivated for season ahead

Photo by Raymond Link ’20 | Senior Lacrosse Player Tommy Moore ’19 sets up to pass in a game against Arcadia High School on April 20th, 2018.

By Vipul Dua ’20

THE ROUNDUP

The varsity lacrosse team is looking to pick up from where they left off last season after ending their run in the quarterfinals of the state tournament last year.

The lacrosse team finished the regular season with a 7-5 record. The team was faced with competition from other schools such as Notre Dame Prep and Salpointe Catholic High School.

The team is looking to have success in their upcoming 2018-19 season as the young players from last season have gained more experience and confidence in their roles.

Regarding the youth on the team Tommy Bullington ’19, a senior starter, said, “Having the younger players know how to handle the tough situations and it not being their first time playing on a high school team will play a big part in our success this season.”

But not just the young players have learned from last season. The early playoff exit taught the whole team an important lesson.

“We learned that the simplest of mistakes can change the course of a whole game,” Bullington said.

Drew Shyman ’21, a second year varsity sophomore, thinks the team has a real shot at winning the State title this year.

“We know what to expect now from the highest competition and we know what it’s going to take to beat tougher teams,” said Shyman.

The team started their preseason training in September of this year, five months before the regular season kicks off.

The preseason schedule is packed with weights Tuesdays and Thursdays and on-field practice Saturday mornings.

Jackson Underwood ’19, another senior starter, believes that the amount of work they are putting in right now sets them apart and gives them an edge going into the season.

“Doing as much stuff as possible right now will really get us ready for the tough season to come. We will definitely add more practices as we get closer to the our first game,” Underwood said.

You can see the lacrosse Broncos in action in February as they look to get started off on the right foot.