ASU Leaves Pac-12, heads to the Big 12

Photo Courtesy of Arizona State University

By Henry Walters ’25

Arizona State University announced that it would move to the Big 12 Conference in 2024, along with the University of Arizona and the University of Utah. They join the University of Colorado, who announced their move last month. The decision comes after a number of universities have announced their departure from the Pac-12 beginning in 2024.

The University of Southern California, University of California, Los Angeles, University of Oregon and the University of Washington have all declared that they will begin the 2024-25 football season as members of the Big Ten. 

ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson stated that the school chose to join the Big 12 for a number of reasons, including the conference’s financial package and exposure, as well as the timing of the move. “From enhancing our ability to recruit Texas for football to the Big 12’s strength in basketball, good days are ahead,” Anderson said.

ASU also declared in a press release that staying in the same conference as the Universities of Arizona and Utah was a crucial factor in their decision. Remaining in the Big 12 with the University of Arizona will continue the two schools’ long standing and fierce rivalry.

The University’s decision leaves the Pac-12 with only four teams remaining, making it look unlikely that the conference will survive past the next few years.

Currently, only Oregon State, Washington State, Stanford and the University of California, Berkley remain as members of the conference for the 2024 football season. Both Stanford and Cal have inquired about possible joining the ACC, however it is still unclear where they might end up.