Phoenix Suns will induct Marion, Stoudemire to Ring of Honor

Photo Courtesy of National Basketball Association

By David Robaina ’25

Phoenix Suns owner Mat Ishbia announced on Aug. 9 that former Suns players Shawn Marion and Amar’e Stoudemire will be inducted into the Ring of Honor this upcoming season. Additionally, Marion’s No. 31 and Stoudemire’s No. 32 will both be retired. 

Marion and Stoudemire join 15 other members of the Sun’s Ring of Honor, and are the 11th and 12th former Suns to have their jersey number retired.  

“Shawn and Amar’e are two of the best to ever wear a Phoenix Suns uniform,” said Ishbia. “Our Suns family is incomplete without them in the Ring of Honor.”

Marion, nicknamed “The Matrix” by Inside the NBA host Kenny Smith, was renowned during his playing career for his defensive versatility and athleticism. Marion was drafted ninth overall by the Suns in 1999 and played for them until 2008. During that span, the Suns made the postseason six times. 

Stoudemire, who didn’t start playing organized basketball until the age of 14, joined Marion and the Suns when he was drafted in 2002. Stoudemire’s career was highlighted by a 2003 Rookie of the Year award and a 2007 All-NBA First Team selection.

“As we embark on the new era of Suns basketball it is a priority that we remain connected to our storied history,” said Ishbia. “We are excited to celebrate Shawn and Amar’e and properly recognize their incredible contributions and achievements.”