Sports complex needs extensive expansion

Photo by Jackson Stack ’25

By AJ Gross ’26

Brophy College Preparatory has been known statewide for its commitment to both athletics and academics. One of the first strides Brophy could make in bettering their athletics would be to renovate their only football field, the Brophy Sports Campus (BSC), to increase the amount of fans that can fit in the audience. 

When Brophy acquired the lot for its football field, it came with stipulations from the city of Phoenix and the neighborhood, including a ban on hosting varsity football games at the field. Because of this, there was no need to expand the bleachers to accommodate a larger crowd. 

Until 2020, Brophy had to hold their home football games at Phoenix College. This meant that every single home game, the team still had to travel. Travel costs included two charter buses per game and rental fees paid to Phoenix College for the field. Brophy had to do this on all of their games, both home and away, which was starting to stretch the budget. When Phoenix College discontinued their football program in 2020, there were concerns about the maintenance and upkeep of the football field, so Brophy found a different solution. 

Brophy made an agreement with Phoenix Union where Brophy would be allowed to use Central High School’s stadium for all of their home football games, and in return the Phoenix Union would be allowed to use Brophy’s pool. This decision was a step in the right direction for Brophy, but now it might be time for us to look beyond convenience and consider the potential for major growth. 

A renovated football field at Brophy could would be a game changer, here are a few reasons:

1. A larger seating capacity would allow for more fans, alumni, and parents to attend games. The roar of the crowd and the parents can really motivate these players. 
  2. A renovated football stadium might just rekindle some alumni interest, which could lead to increased engagement in the school and financial support.
  3. Investing in a new, state of the art stadium shows a commitment to the program’s pride and tradition. It sends a message that Brophy is truly dedicated to its sports programs, which has an effect on the school’s overall reputation.

While we do recognize the challenges created by those original stipulations, it is essential to adapt to changing circumstances. Renovating the football field is a crucial step towards ensuring that Brophy’s football program continues to thrive and inspire future athletes. It is the time to unlock our full potential and propel the Broncos to greater heights.

View Comments (1)