Is ‘Madden ’10’ worth the hype?

By Alex Stanley ’12

To silence would-be naysayers, Electronic Arts has unleashed the beast again with the 2006 edition of "Madden," proving that there will be no laurel-resting this year.

Is “Madden ’10” worth the $60 price tag or should you keep playing Madden ’09?

The quick answer is a definitive yes.

According to EA Sports, “Madden ’10” features many new and improved aspects over Madden ’09, including better graphics, more details, an overall more realistic experience and a new animation technology called PRO-TAK.

PRO-TAK technology gives more power to the player.

First, it allows up to nine-man tackles and a more realistic experience when breaking tackles. Also, the computer used to arbitrarily decide when the play ended, now the game allows more action at the end of the play, such as diving for a first down or fighting to recover a fumble.

“Madden ’10” is the most detailed of the series so far. According to EA Sports, it includes new throwing and kicking styles, the chain gang rushing into the play to measure key first downs, hand towels, paper cups, the numbers on back of helmets and many more technicalities.

It also includes the best graphics to date, which look as if every game played is actually televised in high definition.

Despite these new advances, the game still has some flaws.

Throughout a game, announcers Chris Collinsworth and John Madden will sometimes talk simultaneously, resulting in an indistinguishable blabber.

It also has the same problems that every other sports game has.

The talents of the real NFL teams don’t match the skill levels of the teams in the video games. The New England Patriots have the best overall skill level in the game, which is a bit generous considering their recent real-life loss to the New York Jets, and barely winning against the Buffalo Bills.

In addition, the game is the only chance the Detroit Lions have to win the Super Bowl, which a can be done in Franchise Mode, and the only way the New Orleans Saints can lose a game 112-21.

“Madden ’10” has minor flaws, but the pros outweigh the cons.

It is definitely worth the $60.