Obama’s first year filled with plenty of show, little substance

By James “Buffalo” Saint Amour ’10

President Barack Obama has faced many problems in his fledgling administration: the economy, two wars and potential nuclear development in North Korea and Iran.

One has to ask what the president is doing running around collecting Nobel Prizes and trying to secure an Olympic bid for Chicago?

It should be apparent that in these troubled times we have bigger problems than tourism and public image.

But the president seems to want to play it cool, taking everything in stride.

Every time he is on TV the way he acts so non-chalant makes me think he has no handle on what is going on and doesn’t know just how dire our situation is.

We are currently involved in two wars which are costing billions of dollars of taxpayer money, but we somehow seem to have plenty to burn on new government programs such as a health care system.

Speaking of health care, why is it that the president wants to create a government run insurance company if he is just going to replace it with the free market system that we already have in place in five years?

Wouldn’t it stand that if your long-term plan is the same or similar to that which is already in place that it would be easier to simply alter the existing system?

Why don’t we try regulating our ever increasing health care costs?

But of course who has time to argue the point when the president is too busy to answer the important question with his PR-save-face stunts.

The president has already made 15 trips to the New Orleans area, accompanied with the numerous times that he has met with the EU, NATO, G8 in an attempt to make the U.S. look better to the international community.

I can’t see any reason for him to be doing this when there is plenty for him to do in the Oval Office.

I don’t believe that the president is going to make any great changes in our country; he’s already failed at trying to close Gitmo because Congress wouldn’t pass the funding of the project.

I believe he is banking on us becoming comfortable with his great social changes, thus no one will try to vote against him when it is time for reelection.

It is almost as if he is operating under the assumption that if he doesn’t screw things up worse than they were when he got here, he can call it a success.

But this isn’t how we should measure a president.