Brophy students helping political candidates around the valley

By Max Tiffany ’21

Students at Brophy have always been active in the local and global communities and there is almost no job that they cannot get done as a team. Brophy students working on political campaigns throughout Phoenix are a perfect representation of that in action.

Eli Reed ’21 first heard about campaigns because all of his friends were on them. He started political work in August of 2020.

Reed works for a company called “The Resolute Group” that manages several campaigns. Reed was assigned to Shawna Bolick’s campaign, who represents District 20 in the Arizona House of Representatives.

Although still quite new at the job, Reed is already making calls and speaking to people interested in talking or voting for Representative Bolick and bringing flyers door to door.

A student with a little more experience on the job is Thomas Logan ’21, who first took interest at the beginning of his junior year because his father was involved with political campaigns. Logan works on Greg Stanton’s campaign who represents Arizona’s 9th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives.

“What I do is check the inbox to see if anyone wants to talk to the congressman, I make calls asking for donations, we tag donations, and every once in a while, we hold a fundraiser for the congressman,” Logan said.

Logan loves the work that he is doing for the campaign, and he says that he even plans to work for it even after the election to help out no matter what the outcome is. He believes that his personality suits him well for the overall goal of convincing people that their candidate is the best option for the election, and he will do it until the day he is not able.

Thomas Brugger ’21, another  political campaign member, has largely the same process in terms of what to do and works for the Resolute Group along with Reed

Brugger used to work for State Senator Kate Brophy McGee, but now works for the Resolute doing calls and helping out around the offices.

“I think that with friends it makes the work environment more enjoyable and it allows for a much more fluid work space. I can speak for myself in saying that it helps me work better,” Brugger says about the dynamic at work.

Though each of these three students working on political campaigns are very different from one another, they are all deeply involved with the campaigns and clearly passionate about the work they are doing for the community.