Gross upholds the importance of journalism in the modern world

As a senior, it’s a right of passage to face the barrage of questions regarding your plans for next year. It’s almost worth it to rehearse a response for when people inevitably ask: “What do you want to study in college?” 

When I tell them I want to major in journalism, I can’t be surprised by their response. “Journalism, really? That’s interesting.” With the aggressive state of modern media, threats of ‘fake news’ being constantly thrown around in political discourse, and artificial intelligence threatening the value of personal expression, journalism is pretty interesting indeed. 

But I would argue, contrary to popular belief, that the role of journalism today is more important than ever.

The world we live in runs rampant with misinformation, as the online environment allows for individuals to be taken advantage of through the manipulation of what we deem to be truthful. There are so many stories that go untold in favor of social media likes or political propaganda, and I’ve found a passion in being able to give truth the light of day. 

I want to study journalism because of the opportunity it will provide me to flourish as a storyteller. 

In my time at The Roundup, I was constantly on the search for what my role as a student journalist at a private school really was, and I think that after 3 years, I’ve finally found my answer. 

From covering local impacts of the conflicts in Ukraine and the Holy Land to writing profiles on some of Brophy’s most unique individuals, my goal has always been to illuminate truth in whatever form it shows itself. 

I’m not here to provide lip service to anyone or shell out undeserving praise. In fact, if I’m pissing someone off, it’s probably a sign that I’m doing something right. 

Truth is inherently subjective and controversial, but it’s usually silenced because it’s scary. So as it’s a journalist’s job to present the truth, it’s the people’s job to listen. Not to agree or to respond, but to simply listen. This act of listening is the first step on a journey to understanding, to respecting, and eventually to reconciling the differences that exist between men in today’s diverse society.