The Student News Site of Brophy College Preparatory

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Follow Us on Twitter

New ‘Harry Potter’ enchants students with an exclusive preview

Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, from left, Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley and Emma Watson as Hermione Granger star in Warner Bros. Pictures' fantasy adventure, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1," a Warner Bros. Pictures release. (Jaap Buitendijk/Courtesy Warner Bros./MCT)

By Rohan Andresen ’12
THE ROUNDUP

As Brophy students, teachers and friends filed into the Harkins Christown Theater around 6:30 p.m. Nov. 18, the excitement was palpable.

Audience members were adorned with Hogwarts cloaks, excitedly waving their wands and quoting spells as they waited for part one of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows” to begin.

Brophy rented out two theaters at Christown and sold tickets for $15.
Students were limited to purchasing two tickets.

Brophy students said they were ecstatic about the special pre-screening.

“I loved the idea of having Brophy rent out a couple theaters,” said Jeff Coltin ’11. “Great atmosphere for the movie.”

Many of the audience members were happy with the movie.

They are already anticipating the release of the last part of the Harry Potter series. Unlike every other Potter movie, book seven is broken into two parts to allow more detail in the story.

“I, for one, was quite content with this episode in the Harry Potter saga.  A serious issue with the last movies, in particular number six, was that they left off significant parts of the story,” Coltin said. “I could recall nothing significant that this one left out.”

Matthew Munhall ’12 agreed that the movie stayed in line with the book.

“I thought it was a faithful adaptation,” Munhall said. “It presented an exciting and thrilling penultimate chapter to the series.”

Coltin also enjoyed the portrayal of magic in the movie.

“I also liked the imagery of this film, in particularly the way they portrayed the magic: not too seriously, but not too lightly either,” Coltin said.

Knowing the books front to back, the movie was a successful adaptation of the novel.

The movie was well directed, well casted and used special effects both terrifically and sparingly.

Both Coltin and Munhall said they are excitedly looking forward to the next, and last, Harry Potter movie.

Munhall joked that he has already purchased his tickets.

The next part of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows” is slated to be released to theaters this summer.

Considering all that has been said and blissful enjoyment, the movie is rated a 9.5 out of 10, with 10 being the best.