Homecoming goes ‘Back to the Future’

By Jack Macias ’14

The movie “Back to the Future” was a success when it hit box offices in 1985 and since then it pop-culture has been a symbol of time traveling.

On Saturday, Oct. 20th   from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. “Back to the Future” will be the theme for Brophy’s 2012 Homecoming Dance.

Last year’s homecoming dance was Carnival themed and was a hit, with more than 1,500 people attending.

“You can expect a lot of lights and a lot of dancing, this dance will be much more interactive,” said Peter McNeil ’14, Brophy Student Council member.

“The theme is “Back to the Future” so there will be more attractions to offer,” McNeil said.

One of the many attractions will be a DeLorean sports car, which was the time traveling device used in the movie “Back to the Future.”

DeLorean sports cars can be hard to find nowadays as the company that originally made the sports car went out of business.

McNeil said the expected turnout should meet or last year’s number of students present which was somewhere around the 1,500 to 2,000 student range.

Out of 10 students surveyed, seven responded with a yes when they were asked about going to homecoming while only three out of 10 students said no.

The 1:1 student to non-Brophy/Xavier rule is still in affect however, which will limit the amount of possible attendees.

Dance attire is free-form and dress can be from any time traveling movies or times, such as the “Back to the Future” theme or futuristic 50s and 60s era outfits.

Dates for this dance are completely optional.

“Depending on if you can have fun with your date, because this is going to be a really fun dance,” McNeil said, “There is not as much pressure as other schools to bring a date to homecoming, but if you want to definitely do it.”