Bronco basketball takes hard-fought victory against DV Thunder

Brophy 71
Desert Vista 62

By P. Erik Meyer ’14 & Christian Guerithault ’14

Romano Bottini ’14 helped Brophy past Desert Vista Jan. 17 with 19 points shooting, 100 percent from beyond the three point line and seven of nine from the free throw line.

“My teammates just found me when I was open,” Bottini said of his performance in the 71-62 win. “They helped draw defenders and helped me find open looks.”

The Broncos started sluggishly trailing 15 -14 at the end of the first quarter.

Desert Vista’s star guard Greg Carter, weaved through the Bronco defense throughout the first half, but in the second half Brophy was able to contain him more consistently.

“I think in the second half we were able to do a better job on No. 3, Carter,” head coach Mr. Tony Fuller said. “We limited his touches in the second half and that slowed them down a bit, knocked them off their rhythm a bit and enabled us to get a cushion, which helped us out.

The Broncos went to the locker room at halftime leading by two, 33-31, but built up a seven-point lead by the end of the third.

The second half saw an aggressive Bronco defense and fast paced offense from both teams.

Bottini also finished with three assists and four steals.

“They were being kind of sloppy with the ball in the backcourt,” Bottini said. “I was just trying to make a play to try and get some energy going and find my teammates for open layups.”

Tim Kempton ’13 helped the Broncos control the paint in the second half and finished with 28 points and 15 rebounds.

Starting point guard Austin Hammond ’13 contributed with three points and four assists and River White ’13 provided solid production from the bench with six points and two rebounds.

Despite the Broncos stingy second half defense, Desert Vista was still efficient and shot 72 percent in the second half.

Brophy’s consistent free throw shooting helped carry them to the win.

“We made free throws,” said Mr. Fuller. “We’re glad to win, we had too many turnovers, they sped us up a little bit, we played a little bit too fast.”

The win brought Brophy’s record to 17-4.