The means in which students spend, earn, and budget their money

By Frankie Pastor ’20

Many students are reaching the age where they begin collecting their own money and spending it for something that they need.

But the question becomes where are students spending their money?

“Most of my money is spent at Fame and Dutch Bros,” said Giovanni Montes ’20. Max Pernick ’18 said that he spends his money mostly on food and gas.

According to the Business Insider, food comes in as first place for teen’s spending habits, meanwhile, stores like Amazon and Nike are second and third place.

Other than food, students have other uses for their money.

“I spend it on items for my guitar,” said Aaron Rivera ’20.

Gavin Mejia ’20 said “when I have money, most of it is spended towards clothes and electronics.”

However, how do students earn money in order to spend?

“I work as an intern at a cardiology clinic,” said Pernick.

For those who might not have a job, the means to spend and earn money might be more difficult.

“I am not given an allowance on a regular basis by my parents, however, I earn my money by helping family members who need something done, or I’ll get it from birthdays or holidays from grandparents or other relatives,” said Mejia.

Meanwhile, some might even sell items.

Rivera said “I sell art, even though I don’t make much from it.”

But in order to spend their money freely, students budget their money as much as possible.

“I’m currently saving my money, but I spend it on items for my guitar. I want to buy this guitar, so saving and being mindful of my spending is important,” said Rivera.  

For many, when a certain goal comes to mind, that is where the budgeting begins.

“I budget my money when I have a goal for something that I really want to get, or when I know that I will need the cash at a later time,” said Mejia.