Cheese ’n Stuff serves sandwiches for 70 years

Photo by Chris Stanek ’19 | Original Cheese ‘n Stuff building on Central Ave. and Camelback Rd. still stands and continues to serve its customers. 

By Chris Stanek ’19

For 70 years, Cheese ’n Stuff has been serving sandwiches as well as Brophy students since the shop’s existence.

Cheese ’n Stuff is located on 5042 N Central Ave, right across from the Uptown Plaza.

Back in 1949, Cheese ’n Stuff was originally just a cheese shop that was owned by a Milwaukee couple.

During this time, the owner was active with the St. Francis Xavier Parish down the road and promoted his shop as an advertisement on the pamphlets for the church.

As these pamphlets spread across the local community, Cheese ’n Stuff began to attract Brophy students as well as their families as frequent customers.

23 years later in 1972, current owner, Stan Zawatski, and his father bought Cheese ’n Stuff and started selling sandwiches.

“We really didn’t start selling a lot of sandwiches until 1974, but once we did start selling them, the shop took off and we’ve been making sandwiches ever since,” Mr. Zawatski said.

Mr. Zawatski grew up working in the shop with his father and grandfather as a teenager, and today he now shares the same responsibilities that his father once had.

“I am the owner, manager, dishwasher, order taker, and sandwich maker,” said Mr. Zawatski. “I really tend to do it all.”

Because Cheese ’n Stuff has been serving so many sandwiches for so many years, the number of sandwiches grew closer and closer to the one million mark.

CJ Hassett ’15 was a common consumer at Cheese ’n Stuff and he had his eye on that millionth sandwich.

“I remember CJ would always look at the number to see where it was at—he would come in everyday,” said Mr. Zawatski. “When the number finally arrived at one million, CJ placed three sandwich orders to make sure that his order was the one millionth.”

Along with the loyal customers that Cheese ’n Stuff serves everyday, Brophy students have also been frequent customers.

Nick Rau ’19 has been to Cheese ’n Stuff on multiple occasions and appreciates the community that it brings among Brophy and even Xavier students.

“I just feel more cared for at Cheese ’n Stuff, and their hospitality is such an important part of what brings me back,” said Rau. “Plus their sandwiches are very delicious and it has basically become a Brophy tradition to go to Cheese ’n Stuff and get a sandwich there.”

Many students agree with Rau, and his opinion is also shared with some alumni that have eaten at Cheese ’n Stuff during their time at Brophy.

Mr. Austin Pidgeon ’08 said that Cheese ’n Stuff was a great alternative to the popular AJs and it was a frequent place to gather with friends.

“We’d always go there to stray from the common AJs spot and really enjoy the food,” said Mr. Pidgeon. “I still meet up with old alumni friends and we gather to eat there.”