“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” event an overall success

By Owen Wong ’23

With the release of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”, the sequel to the critically acclaimed “Black Panther”, the Brophy Black Family Alliance (BBFA) decided to hold a special private screening event for the Brophy Community to see the movie together over the weekend at Harkins Christown.

There was a great turnout with about 175 attendees with the event nearly being sold out. This was the BBFA’s first fundraiser in support of the Brophy Community. 

The BBFA decided to hold the event after one of their meetings.

“We were discussing the upcoming Black Panther movie. Everyone commented that it had been very impactful to their family,” said Angela Bryant, one of the volunteer parents on the BBFA’s Steering Committee, “So much so that they had gone multiple times during the opening weekend to see it,” 

From there, they decided they would rent out a theater so that they could share the experience with the rest of the Brophy community. 

The committee involved in planning and executing the event was led by Wayne Franklin, the parent of Lionel Franklin ’26, and Chantell Frazier, the parent of Matthew Frazier-Ali ’26. Both parents were big players in booking the theater, tickets, and other logistical factors. 
The Mothers Guild, PLUB, Assistant Dean Mr. Brian Johnson, Ms. Deena Sellers, and the Black Student Union (BSU) have all been instrumental partakers in promoting the event.