Garcia named Man of the Year

Lucio Nathaniel Garcia ’24 is a man of many firsts. A first generation U.S. citizen, the first student to ever conduct Brophy’s orchestra and the first in his family to attend college. But just because you’re the first doesn’t mean you can’t also be great. 

Despite all of his accomplishments, Garcia feels, “everyone kind of knows me, but they don’t really know me,” and that’s exactly what makes him worthy of recognition. 

His perseverance and commitment are products of the adversity and obstacles that he’s faced – obstacles that have been incessant throughout Garcia’s high school career.

“I went through a car accident last year and for the last couple of months I was just kind of limping around,” Garcia said. “I didn’t have crutches, I didn’t have a wheelchair, but I always had a smile on my face.”

In what was already a turbulent 2020 for most students, having to live through the pandemic and asynchronous schooling, Garcia faced an entirely different batch of challenges. “My freshman year, I was living in Mexico because on my Mom’s side of the family we lost about 25 members,” Garcia said. “So I didn’t really start meeting people until sophomore year.”

Even though his social orientation was delayed, Garcia’s impact on the Brophy community is evident. He was able to find solace in other first generation peers through groups such as Hermanos Unidos as well as relate to the struggles of other students experiencing the stress of pursuing an academically rigorous journey.

“He’s always worried about friends, how we’re doing, and everyone around him,” said friend Juan Pablo Suarez Woolcott ’24. “How they all do and perform, that’s what he cares about.”

After he was able to find his crowd at Brophy, he focused his attention more on making himself stand out. Beyond being the trademark compassionate and intelligent Brophy student, Garcia has a true gift for music.

“I composed two compositions for college admissions, and Dr. Robinson actually gave me the honor and privilege to not only have the orchestra perform those pieces but also to allow me to conduct,” Garcia said. “I was the first student that he’s ever had to do that.”

“Rehearsing the group and really trying to get the sound out of them that he envisioned when he wrote the piece I think is quite an undertaking,” said Director of Instrumental Ensembles Dr. Jonathan Robinson. “His impact is much larger than just the third floor of Eller, it’s all of Brophy.”

His passion for the arts doesn’t stop at just music. Garcia has participated in multiple Brophy and Xavier theater productions including Mary Poppins, Lord of the Flies and 12 Angry Jurors. 

Regardless of what demands Garcia’s attention, Brophy’s dedication to cultivating a religious graduate has led him to pursue God in all things.

“I’ve been able to achieve putting my family first, but what I haven’t really done is put God in front of all things,” Garcia remembered from his Kairos reflections. “God isn’t about going to church, it’s not about praying everyday, it’s about finding him in your interactions.”

During his time in rehabilitation after his car accident, Garcia cultivated a relationship with Choir Director Ms. Teresa Murphy. Through her, Garcia was introduced to College of the Holy Cross, where he is now committed to attend next year on a scholarship. He hopes to pursue his degree and eventually obtain a doctorate in music.

“I actually want to go into the Hollywood industry and become a musical composer for films and movies,” Garcia said. “Maybe even double major in film.”

Moving on to new adventures also means leaving behind a legacy. Garcia said, “I want to be remembered more for what I’ve done and who I am as a person. My passion and hard-work.”