Kauffman provides ‘motherly’ presence in classroom

By Mason Smith ’11

Photo by Ben Jackson '11 - Ms. Kauffman explains a poetry project to her AP English IV class March 16.

Moms are typically people who show unconditional love to their child.

Mrs. Deborah Kauffman is described by many of her students as having a “motherly” presence in the classroom.

Mrs. Kauffman is a great teacher who always tries to keep the students involved in class, she really cares about her students and really has a motherly presence in the classroom,” said Sai Tummala ’11.

She was born in Grand Forks, North Dakota and she attended St. James High School. Her senior year was the last year that the school would be open.

From there she attended the University of North Dakota earning a Bachelor of Arts Degree as well as a Master of Arts Degree.

She would go on to spend a semester at the University of London.

At first, Mrs. Kauffman wanted to become a lawyer, but after taking an English course she eventually set her eyes on becoming an English teacher.

In 1991 Mrs. Kauffman taught at Xavier College Preparatory for six years teaching AP English and Religion.

She left Xavier after the 1996 school year and started her career here at Brophy in 1997.

Located in Brophy Hall room 110, Mrs. Kauffman teaches AP English IV to seniors.

Mrs. Kauffman is one of the best teachers at Brophy because she truly shows a great amount of love for everyone she teaches,” said Alex Iverson ’11.

Away from the classroom Mrs. Kauffman enjoys hiking, walking her dogs (she does this as much as possible) and reading murder mysteries that are not located in the United States.