Xavier Food and Nutrition class teaching food preparation

Photo by Noah Lederer ’21 | Harrison Titzck ’20 prepares doughnuts for his food and nutrition class at Xavier.

By Vipul Dua ’20

Students often complain about not knowing how to cook and they end up buying insipid school lunches.

“So far we have made pizookies, bowtie chicken caesar salad, soft shell pasta, sticky buns, double baked potatoes, and we just made smoothies last week,” said Cassie Kuhler ’19, a senior at Xavier taking Food and Nutrition.

The Food and Nutrition class at Xavier College Preparatory is offering students the chance to learn about food preparation techniques and healthy eating habits.

The class starts off by teaching students about the different nutrients, minerals, and vitamins inside food.

After learning about what’s in the food, they learn about different techniques in food preparation that can be used in the kitchen.

They explore each of these techniques in depth and then do “Food Labs” where they put their knowledge to practical use in the kitchen and start cooking.

Not only does the class teach how to cook, but it also puts a priority on encouraging healthy eating habits through the study of nutrients and vitamins found in different types of foods.

“Ever since taking this class, I’ve started to put a little bit more of an emphasis on what foods I eat and the nutrients I am getting from each food,” said Jay Patel ’19

“I have also remade some of the food we made in class at home because I liked it so much,” Patel said.

The class made also made Kuhler more aware of what foods she is putting in her body.

“The class really made me realize what’s in food, like all the minerals and vitamins, and just all the nutrition facts about what you are putting into your body. It really makes you think about your diet as a whole,” said Kuhler.

Food and Nutrition is a class many students look forward to during their busy school schedule.

“Food and Nutrition is one of my favorite classes that I am taking because it helps me get through my hectic day at Xavier. There’s something about cooking and following a recipe that is just therapeutic,” said Analy Carbine ’20.

Food and Nutrition is available to be taken by every student at Brophy and Xavier and is taught by Mrs. Deirdre Van Sickle in Brown Hall at Xavier.