Governor Katie Hobbs schedules meeting with the Salt River Project and Arizona Public Services

By Renzo Moran ’24

Governor Katie Hobbs scheduled a roundtable meeting with Arizona utility companies for Aug. 18 to outline a plan for protecting citizens during this summer’s record heat wave. In late July, Hobbs sent the companies a letter demanding both a written plan and a meeting.

“I’m taking action to provide relief through additional resources and collaborating with utilities, local organizations, cities, and county officials,” said Gov.  Katie Hobbs.

The meeting will have the companies give their detailed plans, already described in a response letter to Hobbs. 

Salt River Project and Arizona Public Service have promised not to disconnect anyone from their services during the excessive heat warnings as well as working with citizens who are in need of financial aid paying off their dues.

Furthermore, both SRP and APS intend to update infrastructure, deal with power outages more quickly and safely and focus on grid resilience. 

In addition to the meeting, Hobbs, through her administration, is planning on providing $50,000 to Valley Interfaith Network for water, staffing and overall expanding cooling center services as a way to combat the heat wave. 

Cooling centers are community-based organizations that serve as a safe, cool indoor environment by providing water, air conditioning and safety from the heat during the day.