The future for Los Hermanos Unidos

Photo by Jackson Stack ’25

By Randy Rosales ’25

The Hermanos Unidos Taquiza Tailgate showed the support and the following that this club has gotten in recent years. This year with an estimated 120 members, the Hermanos Unidos have become Brophy’s second biggest affinity group behind the 1st Gen, Brophy’s affinity group for first generation college students.

This year the club intends to use their popularity to create change in the community. Mr. Jonathan Londoño ’10  says “We want to make sure that our group is known as a group that other Latino or predominantly Latino groups can count on.” 

To continue this theme of community and unity, the club officially changed their logo to a flag with the words “Hermanos Unidos” on it with the ability to change the flag to that of any latin country.

The club began in 2010 and has only grown continuously since then. Hermanos Unidos Vice President Jose Luis Avila III ’25 said “I remember as a freshmen some meetings not even filling  up K21, and now, as a junior, we had to move to a bigger space because we outgrew K21.”  

The Hermanos Unidos club is moderated by Mr. Londoño, head of student outreach and advocacy at the office of Equity and Inclusion. Mr. Londoño was one of the founding members of the club his senior year. 

He studied Transborder Studies at ASU, and would regularly go back to Brophy and speak about his experiences to the Hermanos Unidos club. When he returned to Brophy as an Alumni Service Core member, being involved in the Hermanos Unidos club was a very important goal for him. 

“We are a great, rich group that brings a lot to the table,” said Mr. Londoño. For the Hermanos Unidos, the Taquiza was a great example of how they were able to impact a community and unite everyone to celebrate a culture that is different from their own.

This year Hermanos Unidos intends to not only make a safe space for the Latino and Hispanic communities at Brophy, but also to be an example for Latinos across the state and country. More information on the club’s activities can be found on their Instagram account @hermanosdebrophy.