The Student News Site of Brophy College Preparatory

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Follow Us on Twitter

Opinion: Brophy, Xavier need to better promote collaboration

Photo Illustration by Jackson Stack ’25 Though close in proximity, the separate schedules of Brophy and Xavier don’t allow for students to mix.

In 2021, I walked onto Brophy campus for the first time; I was shocked. My middle school campus looked like a joke compared to the facilities at Brophy. Also, I could go and experience not only Brophy but a second school just as large – Xavier. 

Last year, our schedules grew apart; Brophy adopted the 80-minute block periods while Xavier stuck with the traditional 50-minutes. This changed the possibility of co-ed art classes, lunches, and study sessions. The only time to meet with Xavier students was before and after school. 

However, even that was taken from Brophy and Xavier students. As a freshman, I frequently visited Xavier’s campus to meet with middle school friends, but it always ended with a school administrator telling me to leave, which was puzzling. 

After a solid month of not communicating with my friends at Xavier, I lost contact. Our friendships went out the window. Brophy’s schedule change with Xavier’s strict after school policies brewed the perfect storm. 

I wanted to hangout with my buddies over at Xavier, but the schedule made it difficult. The fine arts classes at Brophy had a mix of Xavier and Brophy students, which allowed for some friendships to brew between students of the two schools. 

The schedule change broke a connection that I had at Xaiver, and now it is harder than ever to make connections with the other school. The only weekly co-ed events that we host are football and basketball games, which is not even close to the four to five hours that Brophy guys had during the old schedule.

I want Brophy and Xavier students to be able to reconnect with each other, especially through co-ed classes during school hours. Sure, Brophy events after school allow Xavier girls to attend and participate with Brophy and host a co-ed environment, yet there are some guys (like me) who would rather have a built-in co-ed environment to meet my Xavier counterparts.