‘The Roundup’ podiums at state journalism convention

The Roundup won multiple awards at the Arizona Interscholastic Press Association’s fall convention on Oct. 24th. 

Stemming from a year of work, The Roundup saw results on Oct. 24th. After collecting twenty different individual awards in multiple categories, the newspaper ended the day by winning third overall in the online newspaper category and second overall in print newspapers. 

The Roundup’s four print editions last year were only beaten by Sandra Day O’Connor’s The Talon for the top award.

The online newspaper which is updated regularly throughout the year won third overall, falling behind Xavier College Preparatory and Sunnyslope High School. 

Among the students who won individual awards were Jackson Stack ’25, David Robina ’25, Henry Walters ’25, Jack Kyle ’24, Alex Gross ’24, Ian O’Riley ’24, and Jack Willmore ’24. 

These students were recognized for their different successes in the journalistic sphere including sports stories, photography, and investigative journalism. 

Jackson Stack ’25, now Photo Editor, won three total awards including an Honorable Mention in the News Story category, an Excellent for Photography, and a Superior for Photography, the highest honor an individual can receive. 

A superior is the highest award given at the convention.

These awards were a result of the photos Stack took for The Roundup’s editions published in the year prior. 

Jackson Stack said, “The awards reflect the hard work that I’ve put in.”

The Roundup organization and its staff members are looking to continue to excel this school year.