New principal uses prior knowledge to strengthen community

By Ian O’Riley ’24

From a physics teacher at Brophy to the principal of Creighton Prep, Principal Mr. Jim Bopp returned to Brophy in 2022 to fill the position of the school principal in 2023 after Mr. Bob Ryan was promoted to president. 

Mr. Bopp intends to use what he learned from the administrative structure and community at Creighton Prep to strengthen the community at Brophy and create the best atmosphere possible for students.

“I had a wonderful experience at Creighton Prep,” said Mr. Bopp. “I feel like I was able to learn a lot there that I could bring back here. The block schedule system we have, including community period, was one of the things I knew we needed to bring back to Brophy.”

Mr. Bopp also played a big part in the formation of the new two-dean structure implemented this year to prioritize student mental health and well-being. One of his biggest goals is to improve the experience of students, prioritize mental health and restructure the community period to better accommodate the school.

He wants to rework the community and club system to provide the optimal experience for students to pursue extracurricular activities at Brophy with all the opportunities they need to do so.

“I want to see the offerings and opportunities evolve for students after school that are not athletic so that students who have really varied passions who aren’t athletes have plenty of venues to explore those things,” Mr. Bopp said.

“I’m really attentive to the idea of student mental health and well-being, and so we want to look at some more programming to come online to help facilitate that,” Mr. Bopp said regarding his goals for the year. 

The freshmen have begun a new program to create daily mental health evaluations to be used by counselors to provide preemptive aid and the best experience possible in their first year as part of this goal.

His goal for the year is to improve the student experience and offer more support from the principal’s office to students to pursue their passions and remain healthy and safe at school.