Brophy soccer looking strong during month of December

By Mason Smith ’11

The Brophy varsity soccer team is underway with a record of 5-3 for the month of December.

Brophy’s soccer squad beat Horizon 4-0, Shadow Mountain 3-0, North Canyon 1-0, Tolleson 2-0 and a win in the Ridge Cup semi-final 4-1.

Photo by Ryan Johnson '10 - Brophy soccer plays run drills during a pre-season workout.

The team lost against Salpointe 0-1, Highland 2-3 and in the Ridge Cup Final 0-2.

Last year, the Broncos fell short of making it to the state final game with a loss in the semi-final game against Highland High School (1-0).

Upcoming games include Corona Del Sol which “should be an all-out war,” according to coach Mr. Marc Kelly.

The team has quickness to it, their coach said, making it very hard for the other teams to keep up with them.

“When we do it well, we’re very hard to beat,” Mr. Kelly said. He added the Broncos keep the ball moving, which tires and frustrates their competition.

Ben Anderson ’10, Brian Hines ’10, Patrick Poblete ’10 and Graham Smith ’10 are the team captains and provide four “unique styles of leadership.”

“The overall goal this year is, as it always is, to win the 5A-1 State Championship.  That’s what we gear up for,” Mr. Kelly said.