Brophy to face Chandler in 1st round of playoffs
By Michael Moroney ’13
Tyler Bruggman ’13 tossed six touchdown passes to lead the Brophy football squad to a 59-21 win over Pinnacle Friday, Oct. 28 at Phoenix College.
“This year our offense has been picking up our defense and as a result our defense rallies,” said head coach Mr. Scooter Molander. “We beat a good team tonight and yet there is still room for improvement.”
The Senior Night game was virtually over by halftime after a 28-point second quarter gave the Broncos a 42-14 lead. Bruggman had five of his touchdowns in the first half, three of them to Clarence Clark ’13.
“The offense was really clicking tonight and they just kept leaving me open,” Clark said.
Brophy started with an 11 play drive that was capped off by a three-yard Will Edwards ’14 touchdown run. Then the Broncos got the ball back after a blocked field goal attempt by Andrew Curtis ’13.
They extended their lead to 14-0 after an 11-yard touchdown pass to Matt Auran ’13. Pinnacle capitalized on a muffed punt by Devon Allen ’13 later in the quarter with a six-yard touchdown pass.
Pinnacle regained possession two plays later by recovering a fumble at the Brophy 45-yard line. They took advantage of this turnover as well by tying the game on a nine-yard touchdown pass.
That would be all they scored for the rest of the half though as the Broncos put up 28 unanswered points in the second quarter.
Clark scored on two consecutive drives to go up 28-14. Then on the third possession of the quarter, Allen added a 15-yard touchdown reception.
The offensive momentum continued on the ensuing Broncos’ possession as Clark leaped and caught a pass over two Pinnacle defenders then scampered 10 yards into the endzone, extending the lead to 42-14.
“When Tyler can throw to me it really opens up the playbook,” Clark said. “I was just trying to get open and find some room to run.”
The third quarter was more of the same as Allen and Edwards both had their second touchdowns of the game. Edwards ended up leading the team in rushing for the game with 13 rushes for 51 yards.
“He (Edwards) had trouble holding onto the ball initially but he’s lightning quick,” Mr. Molander said. “He has great vision and really stepped it up in the second half.”
Pinnacle shortened the lead to 56-21 late in the third quarter with a steady running drive, leading to a two-yard touchdown rush.
Phillip Mourikes ’14 tacked on three more points to make the score 59-21 put the Broncos did not attempt another pass for the rest of the game.
Bruggman was finished by the fourth quarter after throwing 17 for 24 and 367 yards. Clark and Allen both had more than 100 receiving yards and multiple touchdowns.
The game concluded regular season play as the Broncos are 9-2 heading into the state playoffs, where they hold the No. 4 seed.
Brophy will face 7-3 Chandler next Friday, Nov. 2 at Phoenix College.
- The Broncos fumbled the ball three times, including Allen’s muffed punt. Edwards fumbled the other two times, although one was recovered by the Broncos.
- Pinnacle would have scored on their first drive of the game had Curtis not blocked a 36-yardfield goal attempt. Also on that first drive, Pinnacle was able to convert on a fourth down and two with a fake punt.
- Bradford Thompson ’13 also blocked a punt in the third quarter.
- Brophy’s leading rusher Marche Dennard ’13 only rushed the ball three times for 31 yards. All his playing time came in the first quarter then Edwards came in as the primary tailback. Head coach Mr. Molander said Dennard will play next week.
- The Broncos were sporting new black during the game uniforms for the first time this season.