The Student News Site of Brophy College Preparatory

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Brophy Roundup

Follow Us on Twitter

Junior varsity tennis coach takes over varsity tennis squad

Brophys varsity tennis team calls the Xavier tennis courts home for all their seventh hour practices.
Renzo Moran ’24
Brophy’s varsity tennis team calls the Xavier tennis courts home for all their seventh hour practices.

Former Junior Varsity Head Coach Chris Campbell ’84 took over as the new Varsity Tennis Head Coach, after Coach Eric Chalmers departure last year to focus on his family. In his first year as Varsity Head Coach, Mr. Campbell has faced some challenges from the switch.

“For me the biggest thing has been all of the things that take place off court,” said Mr.  Campbell, “The arranging of things and the scheduling of things, I still don’t have my hands fully around that part.”

Included in that paperwork is having to book everything when the team travels twice this season, both to California. In spite of this, Mr. Campbell added that “the travel is always fun because it’s a whole different level of proficiency when we play in California.”

Varsity tennis player Ethan Ashok ’24 agreed with Mr. Campbell saying he was excited about those two trips in California and another one in Tucson.

Mr. Campbell added that the reason the skill proficiency in California is so much different than Arizona is because they play tennis all year round and the skill level is just higher.

Mr. Campbell, who graduated from Brophy in 1984 and was on the tennis team, remembers playing tennis in the south lot before it became a parking lot and to come full circle he said has been exciting. “This is the best place on the planet if you’re a kid who loves academics, if you’re a guy who loves fine arts, if you’re a guy who loves any particular sport, there’s no better place than Brophy,” said Coach Campbell about his experience at Brophy.

After a 14-1 championship losing season last year, the team looks to rebound this year with the addition of Kentaro Akiyoshi ’24 and returning players Ryan Zerbib ’25, Logan Phillips ’25, Naren Gudavalli ’25, and Ethan Ashok ’24.

According to Ashok, the team is better from last year. “ We have Kentaro back, he’s our number two, and we also have additions to the senior squad with Hunter Adams and Anthony Olakkengil so it should be a good environment when we go to the retreat.”

With a new coach and talented returning player, only time will tell if this year’s squad can best last year’s team and win another tennis state championship for Brophy.