Excess of sports can cause daily stress, impact on schoolwork

Students face a conflict with academics and athletics

By Michael Moroney ’13

While competing in Brophy athletics, student-athletes who are committed to their team often find they have limited time for their normal academic workload.

Student athletes said they can find it difficult to balance both athletics and academics.

“I have practice every day and weight lifting twice a week,” said Gage Buness ’13, a second-year varsity lacrosse player. “With that and AP classes, I have to use any time I have for schoolwork.”

Some sports have a designated seventh period practice time, but students said the 50-minute slot is not nearly enough for teams to complete their practices.

“The team plays during seventh period but we continue practicing after that,” said varsity volleyball player Scott Mueller ’13. “Once practice is over, I have to stay motivated to finish my homework.”

On game days, the football team is able to catch up on homework right after school when they are given an hour to two hours for studying. Not all Brophy teams have the luxury of extra study time though.

Certain sports choose to travel across the state and even the country to play against the very best competition at the high school level.

For example, the soccer team can spend an entire weekend playing in a tournament in Arizona or somewhere else. In January, the team spent four days in Florida to play in the Monteverde Soccer Tournament.

Mueller plays for the Club Red volleyball team in the offseason. This team plays in club tournaments together and consists of Brophy volleyball players.

“We have to stay together as a team, on and off the field,” Mueller said. “It’s like playing for the Brophy team all year long.”

Most athletes have to continue practicing their sport in the offseason so they do not fall behind the pack. This can mean playing on a non-school club team or lifting weights on a regular basis.

“I play on a club lacrosse team that goes to tournaments when school lacrosse is over,” Buness said. “I have to continue playing or I will take a step backward.”

Some players said they must keep up their intense physical exercise in the offseason so that they will be recognized by college recruiters at tournaments, combines and other events.

“Summer tournaments are the best way to be recruited for lacrosse, it’s when college coaches are watching,” Buness said.

If a student-athlete is driven, he will be able to play on a competitive team and be able to complete schoolwork.

“A couple teammates are always really tired because they have so much work after practice,” said varsity football player D’Amani Grayer ’13. “I’m usually able to finish everything though.”

The football team practices daily with regular weight lifting sessions during the regular season. They also keep practicing and working out during the spring and summer.

“Some players are put on academic probation because they sometimes fall behind,” Grayer said.